Road and Pavement Faults

FAQ: What to Do If You Have a Problem with a Road or Pavement

Q: What should I do if I have a problem with a road or pavement?

A: Reporting Problems on Trunk Roads and Motorways

  • Trunk roads (A725, A726, and A702) and motorways (M74) are the responsibility of the Scottish Government. To report any faults on these roads, please go to the Trunk Roads and Motorways page.

A: Reporting Problems on Other Roads

  • For all other roads, please use the South Lanarkshire Council Roads Fault Form to report issues such as:
  • Defective slabs
  • Potholes
  • Footpaths or kerbs
  • Signs and street furniture (such as bollards and guardrails) that are broken or fallen over
  • Blocked road gullies
  • Overgrown hedges and other vegetation
  • Flooding
  • Defective footbridges, parapets, and guard rails
  • Traffic lights

A: Safety Inspections

  • Once a fault is reported, a safety inspection will be carried out. Inspections are typically conducted by an inspector in a slow-moving vehicle, but may also be done on foot in urban areas or by bicycle for cycle routes. During inspections, all observable defects posing any foreseeable risk to users will be recorded.

A: Defect Risk Evaluation and Categories

  • The risk of the defect is evaluated based on the likelihood and potential severity of an incident occurring due to the defect. Defects are categorised as follows:
  • Category 1: High risk to road users, requiring immediate action or making the area safe within 4 hours. Examples include major debris, exposed electrical wiring, severe carriageway defects, and significant standing water.
  • Category 2: Medium risk, requiring repair within 7 working days. Examples include rapidly deteriorating conditions, defective traffic signals, significant potholes, and other abrupt level differences likely to cause loss of control or injury.

By following these steps, you can help ensure that road and pavement issues are reported and addressed promptly, keeping our community safe.

Scroll to Top